Here is some important information which you need to know about before you return to campus, and to consider in terms of your working conditions for the next academic year.
Before you read this, and if you haven’t already done so, please complete this survey about your return to campus.
What do I need to know about safe return to work?
Employers are required by law to protect employees, and others, from harm.
Under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999, the minimum employers must do is:
- identify what could cause injury or illness in your business (hazards)
- decide how likely it is that someone could be harmed and how seriously (the risk)
- take action to eliminate the hazard, or if this isn’t possible, control the risk
Assessing risk is just one part of the overall process used to control risks in your workplace.
Existing Risk Assessments are in the process of being updated to take reasonable steps to protect workers and others from coronavirus. This will result in a COVID-19 risk assessment to manage risk and protect people.
- identify what work activity or situations might cause transmission of the virus
- think about who could be at risk
- decide how likely it is that someone could be exposed
- act to remove the activity or situation, or if this isn’t possible, control the risk (www.hse.gov.uk)
Before you return to work:
- familiarise yourself with the Department Risk Assessment (at least two weeks before your return to work)
- complete an Individual (Covid Age) Risk Assessment and refer to Occupational Health if needed
- visit campus before you are due to start work to check and understand safety measures in place
- meet with members of the Health & Safety team to discuss any queries (Wesley Mason and Anita Bellinger)
- Raise any concerns with your GUCU dep rep and/or Health & Safety Officers (Anna Grant, Amanda Kipling, Pamela Karantonis)
Equalities Impact Assessments
These documents are completed to inform policies and procedures at an institutional level. These are separate from Risk Assessments.