- There is a rising trend towards the casualisation of employment within HE sector.
- As apprentices in the sector postgraduate students are often disproportionately vulnerable to casual employment practices.
- UCU worked with NUS on creating the Postgraduate Employment Charter which outlines the key rights postgraduate workers demand of their employers and institutions.
- HEC Conference at UCU congress 2012 passed motions HE17 calling for local initiatives around postgraduate recruitment to the union, and the highlighting of the NUS/UCU Postgraduate Charter.
- The formation of the Postgraduate Workers Association, which is a network within UCU of postgraduates members organizing initiatives at local, regional and national levels around postgraduate related issues in the HE sector.
This branch resolves:
- To support the upcoming Anti-Casualisation Committee day of action in the autumn.
- To build on HE17 by running a local postgraduate UCU recruitment drive, in conjunction with Goldsmiths SU where necessary.
- To create local Postgraduate Forums, hosted by Goldsmiths UCU branch executive, where postgraduate workers can attend for advice and support.
- To support the creation of a local Postgraduate Working Group within the branch that would lead in the organization of recruitment drives, forums and any other postgraduate initiatives.
- To distribute information from the Postgraduate Workers Association and encourage members to take part in campaigns initiated by this network.
Proposed: Luke Evans
Motion passed: 26th June 2012