Goldsmiths UCU notes:
1. That the Coalition government has still to implement 80 percent of its cuts programme.
2. That the TUChas called an anti-austerity demonstration on 20 October 2012that is supported by UCU.
This branch believes:
1. That the Coalition government’s plans are an attack on the welfare state and that they will increase unemployment, squeeze education and inflict the most severe reduction in the living standards of working people since the 1930s. They encourage scapegoating of pensioners, women, black people, disabled people, students, young people, and migrant workers.
2. That the TUCdemonstration must become a rallying point for mass resistance to the austerity programme.
3. That a campaign of mass mobilization for the TUCdemonstration through the unions, anti-cuts organisations, welfare groups, student unions, political organisations, equality campaigners etc must begin now.
This branch resolves:
1. To circulate material to build for the TUCdemonstration.
2. To support the creation of ‘Goldsmiths United against Austerity’ in conjunction with other campus unions to build for the demonstration.
Proposed Des Freedman
Motion passed: June 26th 2012